Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is the recipe that my mother likes to call her Christmas Soup. The recipe comes from the "Old Dough School" in Glasgow (Glasgow West of Scotland College of Domestic Science) which I am proud to have gratuated from. In my day it was called Queens College, Glasgow. It has now become part of Glasgow Caledonia University. The last reprint of the book that I have is from 1967. The book was mainly for students who were training in Home Economics or to be Cooks or Chefs. Hope you like it?
- Scald the Barley.
- Wash the Lentils.
- Put Barley and Lentils into a pan.
- Add Water, Butter and Onion.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add tomato puree and cook for 20 minutes longer.
- Sieve soup.
- Reheat, season with salt and pepper and add milk if desired.