1 hr 10 mins
Golden Sunflower's Note:
Quahogs as we call them in RI are actually large chowder clams. These are delicious but take a little time to prepare. You can make these ahead and freeze them until you are ready to bake and eat. I'm Italian and this is a favorite for our Christmas Eve fish dinner - but we also enjoy them during the summer! YUM!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- 2Shuck quahogs/clams. Chop quahog meat into bite size chunks and set aside. Save shells and juice. You should have 24 shells for 24 "stuffies". Scrub the shells clean before stuffing.
- 3Melt 1/2 stick of butter and saute celery and onion on medium low heat for about 5 minutes. Add white wine, remaining butter and clam juice and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes to reduce liquid just a bit and butter is melted. Add chopped quahogs and remove from heat. Strain and separate liquid from solids - do not toss anything!
- 4In a large bowl add stuffing, pour liquid on stuffing. If stuffing is dry add more of the clam juice. Stuffing should have a sloppy soupy consistency.
- 5Add clam and veggie mixture to stuffing. Remember stuffing must be soupy because when it cooks the liquid will dry up.
- 6Add 1 T Old Bay at a time, mix and taste - if you need more flavor add a little more. Be careful - Old Bay is salty.
- 7Place shells on a large pizza/cookie sheet. Spray each with a little oil spray to prevent stuffing from sticking.
- 8Scoop a large amount of stuffing in each of the quahogs - you may be able to use all 24 shells.
- 9A few things to remember - do not over cook quahogs in pan w/veggies, stuffing must be soupy - if it's dry add a little more clam juice, be careful with the Old Bay. This a an easy recipe, but it took me a couple of times before I perfected it.
- 10I put 35-40 minutes for cooking - but when the stuffing is set and the top is crunchy and brown - they are done!
Browse Our Top Clams Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Stuffed Quahogs or Clams (Rhode Island Style)
Serving Size: 1 (76 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 135.2
- Calories from Fat 41
- Total Fat 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 13.7 mg
- Sodium 445.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 3.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Old Bay Seasoning