Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 2 hrs 15 mins
This recipe is from Favorite Lake City Recipes, a cookbook from the Army ammunition plant my husband works for. It was submitted by Mrs. Charles P. Longgood, Bldg. 1. It's become a family favorite and has been requested for Christmas dinner for several years now. I prefer using a spiral-cut ham as the flavor really gets into it better. Southern Comfort is my whiskey of choice, and I use either sliced or chunk pineapple.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place ham fat side down on rack in shallow roasting pan.
- Bake for 2 hours, without basting, or until meat can be pierced easily with a fork.
- Remove ham from oven and let cool.
- When ham is cool enough to handle, cut away rind with a sharp knife.
- Score ham by cutting deeply through fat until you reach the meat.
- Make incisions about 1 inch apart, crosswise and lengthwise.
- Baste ham on all sides with 1/2 cup of bourbon.
- Combine dark brown sugar, dry mustard and 1/4 cup of bourbon and pat the mixture into the fat.
- Stud intersections with whole cloves.
- Arrange orange sections (or pineapple chunks) attractively.
- Baste ham with pan drippings and bake undisturbed for 15 to 20 minutes, to melt sugar and glaze.
Very nice! made this for Easter dinner and loved the addition of the Jack Daniels and dry mustard. Really a nice recipe. Made for Spring PAC 2010.