Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook2 hrs 15 mins
This recipe is from Favorite Lake City Recipes, a cookbook from the Army ammunition plant my husband works for. It was submitted by Mrs. Charles P. Longgood, Bldg. 1. It's become a family favorite and has been requested for Christmas dinner for several years now. I prefer using a spiral-cut ham as the flavor really gets into it better. Southern Comfort is my whiskey of choice, and I use either sliced or chunk pineapple.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place ham fat side down on rack in shallow roasting pan.
- Bake for 2 hours, without basting, or until meat can be pierced easily with a fork.
- Remove ham from oven and let cool.
- When ham is cool enough to handle, cut away rind with a sharp knife.
- Score ham by cutting deeply through fat until you reach the meat.
- Make incisions about 1 inch apart, crosswise and lengthwise.
- Baste ham on all sides with 1/2 cup of bourbon.
- Combine dark brown sugar, dry mustard and 1/4 cup of bourbon and pat the mixture into the fat.
- Stud intersections with whole cloves.
- Arrange orange sections (or pineapple chunks) attractively.
- Baste ham with pan drippings and bake undisturbed for 15 to 20 minutes, to melt sugar and glaze.