Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
Chicken broth or water may be used in place of the vegetable broth. Cooking time includes cooking rice. The complete recipe may be doubled.
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth (or use water or chicken broth)
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1⁄4 cup oil (or use butter)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic, 9or to taste
- 2 carrots (peeled and diced)
- 2 1⁄2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 large eggs, beaten (can use 3 eggs)
- salt and black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup toasted slivered almonds (can use more)
- soy sauce (optional)
- In a medium saucepan bring 1-1/2 cups vegetable broth (or water or chicken broth) to a boil; add in rice cover with a tight-fitting lid; reduce heat to medium-low and cook rice for about 45 minutes or until tender (the rice may take longer than stated time) fluff with fork and set aside (keep lid on to keep rice warm).
- Heat oil or butter over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Add in onions and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add in garlic and diced carrots; saute for 2 minutes.
- Add in sliced mushrooms to the skillet and cook stirring until they release their moisture and are slightly browned (about 10-12 minutes).
- Add in frozen peas and cook stirring 1 minute.
- To the skillet with the veggies add in eggs; stir constantly until cooked.
- Remove the skillet from heat, then add in the cooked rice and almonds; toss until combined with vegetables.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Serve with soy sauce if desired.
This was a lot of work but worth it. It is delicious and healthy. I added some tofu that I had baked with soy sauce and lime and ginger. Definitely a keeper.
Our family loved this rice! It was delicious and even my picky, mushroom-hating DD said she liked it and ate it up. I followed the recipe exactly using a vegetarian chicken broth. It's a very healthy dish that has just about everything you need in it. I was surprised there wasn't as much rice compared to vegetables, but wouldn't have changed it. Thanks for the yummy pilaf recipe Kitten! Made for Camera-less Chef Tag.