1/1 Photo of Chicken and Penne Casserole
1 hr 20 mins
I have made this recipe using bone-on chicken pieces also, although you might have to adjust the cooking time slightly. I double the crushed tomatoes to two cans when I make this, but that is optional, my family loves this casserole!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -5 tablespoons olive oil (or as needed0)
- 6 boneless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper (I use seasoned salt)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes (with juice)
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 large bay leaf
- 10 ounces dry penne pasta (cooked to JUST firm-tender and drained, can use more if desired)
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese (can use less)
- 2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided (can use more or less)
- 1Set oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- 3Heat oil in a skillet.
- 4Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then brown on both sides about 5 minutes per side; transfer to a plate.
- 5Add in onion, garlic, oregano, basil and crushed red pepper flakes; saute about 5 minutes.
- 6Add in the crushed tomatoes, stewed tomatoes with juice, wine, sugar and bay leaf; cook for about 35-40 minutes, season with salt and pepper.
- 7Line the bottom of the dish with cooked penne pasta, sprinkle the top with about 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese.
- 8Arrange the browned chicken pieces on top of the cooked pasta.
- 9Remove bay leaf and spoon the sauce over the chicken covering chicken and pasta completely.
- 10Mix the mozzarella cheese with 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, then sprinkle over the top of the sauce.
- 11Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked and the sauce is bubbly.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Penne Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (496 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 751.6
- Calories from Fat 319
- Total Fat 35.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 132.0 mg
- Sodium 831.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.0 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 49.6 g