2 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 30 mins
A VERY special treat. This recipe has lots of steps, not particularly difficult, but requires some patience and technique to get these looking perfect for gift giving. The taste is PHENOMENAL. You will not be disappointed. A dear friend gave me this recipe. I make several batches each year as gifts, and the last batch, I HIDE two large pastries as our traditional Christmas breakfast. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Large P ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 2 cups warm milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 egg
- 6 cups flour
- 1Read and Follow Carefully!
- 2Pastry: Place butter and sugar in 4-quart bowl, pour heated milk over fat.
- 3Let stand while yeast dissolves in 1/2 cup water and 1 tbs sugar.
- 4Stir and let stand for 5 minutes.
- 5When yeast is dissolved and bubbly, add eggs and beat well.
- 6Add yeast/egg mixture to cooled milk mixture.
- 7Add salt to flour in sifter and sift in to bowl of above ingredients.
- 8Beat with a spoon until all flour is added to make a soft dough.
- 9Let rise until double.
- 10Custard: Heat milk.
- 11Mix sugar, salt and flour together and stir into hot milk.
- 12Stir until thick, beat egg yolk and gradually add hot mixture TO YOLK until hot and then add back to original mixture.
- 13Cook 1 minute more.
- 14Let cool.
- 15Almond Filling: Beat all ingredients together with mixer.
- 16Crumb Mixture: Combine flour, sugar and walnuts; mix in the 1/2 cup butter until well mixed.
- 17Assembly: Divide dough into 3 portions, or, make up to 12 small pastries.
- 18Roll out to about 1/4 to 1/2 thick rectangles, long side perpendicular to you works best.
- 19Place fillings down center of rectangle in this order: Custard, almond filling, crumb mixture.
- 20Cut equal number of slits on both sides of rectangle, leaving the center 1/3 of dough intact with fillings.
- 21Braid the strips you just cut over the fillings.
- 22Place pastries in foil lined pans, brush with egg white beaten with 2 tbs water.
- 23Place halved maraschino cherries, like buttons, down the top and sprinkle with more crumb mixture.
- 24Bake at 350°F for 20 min for small pastries, 30 minutes for medium, and 35-40 minutes for large.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Christmas Danish Pastry
Serving Size: 1 (3137 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3199.0
- Calories from Fat 1245
- Total Fat 138.3 g
- Saturated Fat 78.1 g
- Cholesterol 463.6 mg
- Sodium 1928.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 443.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.0 g
- Sugars 194.9 g
- Protein 51.6 g