Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 30 mins
A traditional fruited Christmas Bread. Posted by request. Prep time includes rising times.
Make and share this Christmas Stollen recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup seedless raisin
- 1⁄2 cup chopped mixed candied fruits and peels (candied fruit cake mix)
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope fast rising yeast
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- confectioners' sugar (for dusting loaves)
- In small bowl, soak raisins and candied fruits in orange juice.
- Set aside 1 cup flour.
- In large bowl, mix remaining flour, almonds, sugar, orange peel, lemon peel, salt and yeast.
- In small sauce pan, heat milk, butter and water till hot to the touch (about 125°-130°F).
- Stir hot liquids into dry mixture.
- Stir in fruit/orange juice mixture and eggs.
- Mix in only enough reserved flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead dough on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic (about 8-10 minutes).
- Cover dough and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 2 pieces, roll each piece into a 10 x 7 inch oval.
- Fold long side of oval over to within 1/2 inch of the opposite side, seal seam.
- Place loaves on a greased baking sheets.
- Cover and let rise in a warm draft free place until doubled in size (about 50-60 minutes).
- Bake at 375°F for 25-30 minutes or until done.
- Remove loaves from baking sheets and cool on wire racks.
- When cool, dust with confectioner's sugar.