Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I discovered this recipe in Good Housekeeping many years ago. Guests for breakfast are always surprised and in awe of this Coffee Cake - I shape according to my mood or the holiday. Prep time does NOT include rise or chill times.
- 4 -4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (2 ounce) can crushed pineapple in syrup, drained
- 11 red glazed cherries, halved
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- In large mixing bowl throughly mix 2 cups flour, sugar, salt& dry yeast. Set aside.
- In small saucepan combine milk, water and butter.
- Heat to 130ºF (butter does not need to melt).
- Slowly add liquid to the above dry ingredients; beat for 2 minutes with electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Add egg and 1 cup flour.
- Beat at high speed additional 2 minutes.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to make stiff dough (approx. 1 cup).
- Cover tightly.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 3 days.
- When ready to make rolls, prepare filling.
- In large mixing bowl combine cream cheese, sugar, salt, nutmeg and vanilla.
- Beat just until well blended.
- Stir in drained pineapple.
- Grease 2 large cookie sheets.
- Divide dough in half; keep one half in refrigerator while working with other half.
- On lightly floured surface roll first dough half to an 11" x 10" rectangle.
- Spread with half of the cream cheese pineapple filling.
- Roll up on 11" side- pinch seams to seal.
- Cut into 1" slices and arrange in shape of Christmas tree on cookie sheet.
- Cover lightly with plastic wrap.
- Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Let arranged slices rise approximately 1 hour in draft free warm place.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF- Bake 15 minutes; cover with aluminum foil to prevent browning.
- Bake additional 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Place cherries, cut side down in center of each roll.
- Combine powdered sugar with milk and drizzle over the rolls.