I discovered this recipe in Good Housekeeping many years ago. Guests for breakfast are always surprised and in awe of this Coffee Cake - I shape according to my mood or the holiday. Prep time does NOT include rise or chill times.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (2 ounce) can crushed pineapple in syrup, drained
- 11 red glazed cherries, halved
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1In large mixing bowl throughly mix 2 cups flour, sugar, salt& dry yeast. Set aside.
- 2In small saucepan combine milk, water and butter.
- 3Heat to 130ºF (butter does not need to melt).
- 4Slowly add liquid to the above dry ingredients; beat for 2 minutes with electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally.
- 5Add egg and 1 cup flour.
- 6Beat at high speed additional 2 minutes.
- 7Stir in enough remaining flour to make stiff dough (approx. 1 cup).
- 8Cover tightly.
- 9Refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 3 days.
- 10When ready to make rolls, prepare filling.
- 11In large mixing bowl combine cream cheese, sugar, salt, nutmeg and vanilla.
- 12Beat just until well blended.
- 13Stir in drained pineapple.
- 14Grease 2 large cookie sheets.
- 15Divide dough in half; keep one half in refrigerator while working with other half.
- 16On lightly floured surface roll first dough half to an 11" x 10" rectangle.
- 17Spread with half of the cream cheese pineapple filling.
- 18Roll up on 11" side- pinch seams to seal.
- 19Cut into 1" slices and arrange in shape of Christmas tree on cookie sheet.
- 20Cover lightly with plastic wrap.
- 21Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- 22Let arranged slices rise approximately 1 hour in draft free warm place.
- 23Preheat oven to 375ºF- Bake 15 minutes; cover with aluminum foil to prevent browning.
- 24Bake additional 5-10 minutes.
- 25Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- 26Place cherries, cut side down in center of each roll.
- 27Combine powdered sugar with milk and drizzle over the rolls.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Christmas Tree Coffee Cake
Serving Size: 1 (90 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 22
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 282.6
- Calories from Fat 109
- Total Fat 12.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 44.5 mg
- Sodium 284.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 20.6 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red glazed cherries