Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I got this recipe from my favorite literature teacher many, many moons ago, even before the concerns about raw egg yolks. There were so few people in the class, just enough to keep from being cancelled, that we'd usually meet at her home and drink tea and someone would bring cookies. During the holidays she made this for us. I've made eggnog from this recipe for years, especially since we shouldn't use raw eggs.
- In a large saucepan, mix the eggs, sugar, and salt, if used.
- Stir in 2 cups milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and mixture coats a metal spoon (will read 160°F on a candy thermometer).
- Remove from heat and add 2 cups milk and extract.
- Chill several hours or overnight.
- Whirl in blender before serving.
- Add rum or brandy as desired, top with whipped cream and ground nutmeg.