This is an old family recipe. I don't know where it came from originally. I am made to bring this salad every Thanksgiving, my sister says it's not really Thanksgiving without it! It does sit overnight to mellow the cranberries, but the prep is quick.
- Rinse the cranberries and remove any stems or leaves.
- Grind the cranberries and marshmallows together using a meat grinder or chop in a food processor.
- Turn the cranberry mixture into a bowl and add the sugar.
- Stir well, then cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Next day, whip the cream to soft peaks, then gently stir into cranberry mixture.
- Add the chopped apple (do not peel it), halved grapes and nuts and just mix through.