Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
To reduce the fat use low-fat evaporated milk, if you are not a garlic-lover then omit the garlic, I like to add it in, the equivelent amount of homemade chicken stock may be used in place of the canned, this recipe may easily be doubled :)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (optional or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 6 tablespoons flour (1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth, undiluted
- 1 cup 18% table cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese (optional or to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- In a saucepan or pot heat butter over medium heat; add in onions, garlic and thyme, and cayenne saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add in mushrooms and saute until tender.
- In a small bowl combine 1 can of broth with the flour until smooth; add to the pot along with the remaining broth; bring to a boil and cook stirring for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the cream.
- Season with black pepper and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Mix in Parmesan cheese (if using) and heat through, then season with salt to taste.
This is delicious! I did use the garlic and parmesan cheese! The garlic gives it so much wonderful flavor. I also used the full teaspoon of the black pepper - it really adds to the flavor as well. This is a keeper! Thanks for sharing.
Super yummy! I blended it with a hand blender and did not add the parmesan simply because I didn't have any. I made it with evap. milk....it is fantastic! Thank you for the recipe.
I also used evaporated milk. Very delicious!