Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A long time family favorite, I sometimes add in 1 teaspoon cinnamon into the kugel mixture!
Make and share this Creamy Pineapple Noodle Kugel With Crunchy Cornflake Topping recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb wide egg noodles
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup half-and-half cream or 1 cup full-fat milk
- 5 large eggs, slight beaten
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (can use more)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups cream-style cottage cheese
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, well drained
- 2 cups corn flakes, coarsley crushed
- 2 -3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish.
- Cook the egg noodles in boiling water with 2 tablespoons salt until just firm-tender.
- Drain well then transfer to a large bowl, and toss with 1/4 cup butter until the noodles are well coated.
- In a medium bowl whisk together milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt until well combined, then whisk in sour cream.
- Stir in cottage cheese and pineapple, then add to the cooked noodles; mix with a wooden spoon to combine well.
- Transfer to buttered baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix together cornflakes crumbs, sugar and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle over the noodles in the dish.
- Dot with butter.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until the edges are golden brown and the kugel is set.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
I looked at several Kugel recipes before choosing this one, noting that many used fewer Noodles while calling for 6 eggs. Therefore I used 8 eggs vs the 5 called for in the recipe. To cut down on calories I used Sweet-N-Low vs the half cup of sugar. Otherwise I followed the recipe exactly....except for the Corn Flakes topping. I improvised with the "Cinnamon Crunch" cereal I had on hand and the results were magnificent! It was a big hit with native Texas friends who'd never heard of a Kugel, and I will be making it again for a "Pot Luck" gathering a few weeks hence. Many Thanks!