1/1 Photo of Crown Roast of Pork With Onion and Breadcrumb Stuffing
4 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
From Gourmet Magazine, December of 2005. An impressive main course for Christmas dinner. This cut has to be special ordered from your butcher.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs onions, finely chopped (6 cups)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 lb country bread, cut into 1-inch cubes, then pulsed to coarse crumbs in a food processor
- 3/4 lb ground pork (usually comes with crown roast, see below)
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh marjoram or 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 9 -10 lbs crown pork roast, rib ends frenched (ground pork reserved for stuffing, above)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1Make stuffing:.
- 2Cook onions with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt in 3/4 stick butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, covered, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes. Continue to cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, until onions are pale golden, about 10 minutes more. Add sage, marjoram, and pepper and cook, stirring, 5 minutes. Add vinegar and wine and boil, stirring occasionally, until liquid is evaporated, then remove from heat.
- 3Meanwhile, cook bread crumbs and remaining teaspoon salt in remaining 3/4 stick butter in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderately low heat, stirring, until golden and crisp, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 4Reserve 1 cup onion mixture, covered and chilled, for sauce. Transfer remaining mixture to a large bowl and stir in ground pork, celery, and crumbs.
- 5Cook roast and stuffing:.
- 6Put 1 oven rack in lower third of oven and another on bottom of oven and preheat oven to 350°F.
- 7Stir together sage, marjoram, salt, and pepper in a small bowl, then rub over outside and bottom of roast. Put roast in a small flameproof roasting pan and mound 2 cups stuffing loosely in center, then add water to pan. Transfer remaining stuffing to a buttered 2-quart baking dish and chill until ready to bake.
- 8Roast pork in lower third of oven, covering stuffing and tips of ribs with a sheet of foil after about 30 minutes and adding more water if pan becomes dry, until thermometer inserted 2 inches into center of meat (do not touch bones) registers 155°F, 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 hours total.
- 9Bake remaining stuffing (next to or under roast, starting 30 minutes before roast is done), covered with foil, 30 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 425°F (after removing roast from oven) and continue to bake stuffing, uncovered, until top is crisp, 15 to 20 minutes more.
- 10Transfer pork to a platter and let stand 30 minutes.
- 11Make sauce while pork stands:.
- 12Transfer pan juices from roasting pan to a gravy separator or a glass measure and skim off fat. Straddle roasting pan across 2 burners, then add wine to pan and boil over high heat, stirring and scraping up brown bits, until reduced by about half, about 5 minutes. Add reserved onion mixture, broth, pan juices, and any juices on platter from roast and bring to a simmer. Restir cornstarch mixture and add to pan, whisking, then simmer 2 minutes. Add butter and swirl pan until incorporated. Season with salt and pepper.
- 13Carve pork and serve with stuffing and sauce.
- 14Cooks' notes:.
- 15• Stuffing can be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
- 16• Pork can be rubbed with seasoning and stuffed 2 hours before roasting and chilled, covered. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before roasting.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crown Roast of Pork With Onion and Breadcrumb Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (593 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1009.1
- Calories from Fat 409
- Total Fat 45.5 g
- Saturated Fat 20.3 g
- Cholesterol 331.9 mg
- Sodium 1643.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 104.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: