Cook2 hrs 30 mins
This red cabbage recipe is a tangy addition to meals, and it's quite easy to prepare. Note that the flavor deepens and improves if you prepare the dish a day ahead, refrigerate it, and then reheat it on the stove or in a 325-degree oven before serving.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Wash cabbage, remove outer leaves, and cut in half lengthwise; remove core; slice or chop fine, using a knife or food processor.
- In a heavy 4- or 5-quart casserole, combine butter, sugar, salt, water, and vinegar.
- Bring to a boil on the stove; add cabbage and toss well to coat.
- Bring to a boil; cover casserole, and place in oven.
- Bake for 2 hours.
- Check occasionally and add some water if all the liquid has cooked away.
- Ten minutes before cooking is finished, stir in jelly and apple; replace cover.