Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Traditional part of a Danish smorgasbord. Always part of Christmas buffet. Lovely color and great taste (if you like pickled herring)
- Chop the herring, potatoe, beets and apple into 1/4" pieces.
- Mix together.
- Blend in the dill pickle, onion and add a bit of the reserved beet liquid.
- The salad should have a firm consistency.
- Put the ingredients into a bowl, pack down well, cover and refrigerate at least over night or up to 2 days.
- Serve with Danish rye bread and hard boiled eggs as part of a smorgasbord.
I love this recipe. It is so nutritious, particularly for older people, as beetroot is now known to help dementia and brain function, not to mention the herring. I use fresh beetroot. Always a winner.
Delicious! I made it with preroasted baby beets from Trader Joe's. And used red onion.
I made this for my progressive dinner group as an appetizer. The presentation was very colorful and I had raves throughout from the group. I could not find the marinated herring so I opted for smoked herring; drained the oil and covered the fish with red wine and allowed it to marinate overnight. I doubled the recipe and used 5-6 small potatoes. I also added sea salt and white pepper to taste.