Traditional part of a Danish smorgasbord. Always part of Christmas buffet. Lovely color and great taste (if you like pickled herring)
- Chop the herring, potatoe, beets and apple into 1/4" pieces.
- Mix together.
- Blend in the dill pickle, onion and add a bit of the reserved beet liquid.
- The salad should have a firm consistency.
- Put the ingredients into a bowl, pack down well, cover and refrigerate at least over night or up to 2 days.
- Serve with Danish rye bread and hard boiled eggs as part of a smorgasbord.