1/1 Photo of Delicious After-The-Holiday Turkey-Rice Soup
2 hrs 35 mins
Don't toss out your turkey carcass make soup! --- this can also be made using a carcass from a large roasting chicken --- the carcass takes about an hour to cook so start this early, and do not remove any meat that was left on the bones, you will *love* this soup! :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 turkey carcass
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or thinly slice the cloves)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 large celery rib, diced
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 -2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (to taste) (optional)
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup uncooked converted white rice
- 2 -4 teaspoons chicken bouillon powder
- 1 -2 cup frozen peas or 1 -2 cup corn
- 1 -2 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste) or 1 -2 teaspoon white salt (or to taste)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- parmesan cheese (to taste) (optional)
- 1Place the turkey carcass in a large pot then cover with water; bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- 2Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for about 1 to 1-1/4 hours.
- 3Remove the carcass to a large bowl; set aside to cool slightly (or until cool enough to handle).
- 4When the carcass is cool enough to handle remove all the meat from the bones and place in a bowl, then discard the carcass.
- 5Set aside about 3 quarts of turkey broth.
- 6In another large pot heat 1 cup butter over medium heat.
- 7Add in onions, carrots and celery; saute for about 5 minutes or until the onions are tender.
- 8Add in garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- 9Reduce heat to low then add in 1 cup flour and crushed chili flakes (if using) to the butter mixture and stir for 1 minute or until blended.
- 10Slowly add in about 1 quart of broth; bring to a boil stirring constantly until thickened.
- 11Add in half and half cream, uncooked rice and boullion powder, peas or corn and remaining 2 quarts broth; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- 12Reduce the heat and simmer for about 30-35 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 13Add in the reserved turkey meat towards then end of cooking just to heat through.
- 14Season with salt and black pepper.
- 15Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Delicious After-The-Holiday Turkey-Rice Soup
Serving Size: 1 (152 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 337.1
- Calories from Fat 219
- Total Fat 24.3 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 66.7 mg
- Sodium 304.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 4.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: