Chicken breasts or pieces can be used in place of the pork chops, also frozen thawed tater tots in place of the chopped crinkle fries if desired, and you can use two cans French fried onion rings if desired, one for the filling and one for the top. For this recipe use thicker-cut pork chops not fast-fry.
- 6 -8 pork chops (about 3/4 inch thick)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder (or to taste)
- seasoning salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream soup, undiluted (your choice cream of mushroom, chicken or celery)
- 1⁄3 cup half-and-half or 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated old cheddar cheese
- 1 (2 7/8 ounce) can Durkee onions, divided
- 1 (24 ounce) package frozen crinkle cut french fries (slightly thawed and chopped into about 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese (or to taste)
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle the pork chops with black pepper and garlic powder on both sides (an a little seasoned salt if desired).
- In a skillet melt the butter with oil over medium heat; brown chops on both sides, then set aside.
- In a bowl mix together the undiluted soup with half and half cream, sour cream, mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese; mix well to combine.
- Add in the chopped crinkle fries with half a can of Durkee French fried onions; toss lightly to combine.
- Spread the mixture into the buttered baking dish, then place the browned pork chops on top.
- Cover with foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes or until the pork are tender (cooking time will depend on the thickness of the chops).
- Remove from the oven sprinkle with about 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese and the remaining half of the dried onions; return to the oven and bake uncovered for about 5-8 minutes or until the cheese melts.