Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A basic easy recipe with tons of flavor! Throw in coarsley sliced carrots also if desired! Make certain to use only smoked kielbasa for this.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, sliced thinly
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 -2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- black pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer
- 2 lbs smoked kielbasa, cut into about 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium head cabbage, halved then cut into about 2-inch thick wedges
- 4 -5 medium red potatoes, cut into four pieces
- Melt the butter in a heavy po over medium heat.
- Add in onion, sugar and salt; cook for about 14-15 minutes until golden brown (add in the garlic about the last 5 minutes and continue cooking the onion).
- Stir in beer, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add in kielbasa, cabbage and potatoes; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally until cabbage and potatoes are tender (about 1 hour).
- Transfer the kielbasa and potatoes to a large bowl or platter and discard remaining liquid if desired.