Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
An easily pre-prepared Christmas vegetable side dish - or for any large festive or celebration gathering throughout the year - using vegetables in season. These roast away without hardly any attention & can be peeled & chopped up to 2 days before cooking & stored in a ziplock bag with the juice of one lemon squeezed over them. Use whatever root vegetables you have in season or that are available - this combination of vegetables is the one that works best for me. Adding garlic works well too, but be careful it does not overpower the flavour of the meal!
- 453.59 g baby carrots, cleaned & trimmed
- 453.59 g parsnip, trimmed & halved
- 907.18 g small floury potatoes, cubed
- 4 small red onions, peeled & quartered
- 59.16 ml olive oil
- 14.79 ml balsamic vinegar
- 4.92 ml rock salt or 4.92 ml coarse sea salt
- freshy ground black pepper
- 14.79 ml fresh thyme leave
- fresh parsley
- 1 lemon, juice of
- If pre-preparing the vegetables, clean, peel,trim them all EXCEPT the potatoes. Place in a ziplock bag & squeeze in the juice of one lemon. Add the balsamic vinegar & olive oil and seal tightly - store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. On the day, add your potatoes to the bag & coat thoroughly.
- For cooking on the same day, follow the above instructions but ADD the potatoes along with the other vegetables, cut them into small even-size pieces. Make sure the vegetables are thoroughly coated in oil & vinegar and leave to one side whilst the oven heats up.
- Preheat oven to 200 C, 400 F or gas 6.
- Put all the vegetables into a large roasting tray & tip in the oil & vinegar from the bag. Sprinkle generously with the thyme leaves, salt & freshly ground black pepper.
- Make a tent of aluminium foil over the vegetables & seal tightly.
- Roast for 30 minutes & then uncover and roast for a further 30 minutes. Give the vegetables a good stir half way through & just before serving.
- Tip the vegetables onto a platter and serve immediately, garnishing with fresh parsley & a sprig of fresh thyme.
So easy and delicious! I'll definitely make this over and over with some different veggies added in. The oil and balsamic vinegar taste great together, and I just used what I had on hand-- some sweet potatoes and parsnips along with some greenbeans and cauliflower that were in my freezer. The spice mix was fantastic on them! Tagged for Veggie Swap 20.
Mmmmmmmmm! I luv root veggies, I luv your recipes and I especially luved this one! :) The thyme goes great with the roasted veggies and the rock salt adds a lovely crunch and saltyness to the recipe. Very nice combination and super easy directions! I have my own go to recipe for roasting root veggies, but I think this one is a little more special making it fit for company. I used parsnips, hokkaido squash, carrots, potatoes and the red onions. YUM! THANKS SO MUCH for sharing another keeper with us, FT! Made and reviewed for my chosen chef during Veggie Swap #19 February 2010.
Tarty, these are super!! I'm so addicted to parsnips.... I made this while on vacation in the mountains of Arkansas....so easy, so delicious...the perfect accompaniment to any entree! Thanks for posting this wonderful recipe!