You will never purchase the store-bought again after having this, this is also wonderful without the rum, but better if added, and for a mild rum flavor use only 1 cup you may increase to up to 2 cups --- plan ahead this needs a chilling time of 24 hours before serving --- *note* this is made using *cooked* eggs
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups milk
- 4 -5 large whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 10 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup Captain Morgan's spiced rum (you may add in more to suit taste)
- 2 cups whipping cream (unwhipped)
- 2 cups half-and-half cream (can use 4 cups whipping cream)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1In a heavy bottomed saucepan combine the milk with cloves, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon; bring to a low boil over the lowest setting.
- 2In a large mixing bowl whisk/mix the egg yolks and sugar until no sugar granules remain.
- 3Slowly add the hot milk mixture into the egg/sugar mixture whisking constantly.
- 4Pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan.
- 5Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thickened (about 3 minutes ---DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL).
- 6Remove the whole cloves and allow to cool for for about 1-1/2 hours.
- 7Stir in rum, 2 cups whipping cream, 2 cups half and half cream, 2 teaspoons vanilla and nutmeg (adjust the amount of rum vanilla adding in a little more to taste if desired).
- 8Refrigerate for 24 hours before serving.
Browse Our Top Beverages Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggnog Extraordinaire
Serving Size: 1 (242 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 459.1
- Calories from Fat 277
- Total Fat 30.8 g
- Saturated Fat 18.1 g
- Cholesterol 285.5 mg
- Sodium 93.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 30.3 g
- Protein 8.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Captain Morgan's spiced rum