Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 24 hrs
Cook 0 mins
You will never purchase the store-bought again after having this, this is also wonderful without the rum, but better if added, and for a mild rum flavor use only 1 cup you may increase to up to 2 cups --- plan ahead this needs a chilling time of 24 hours before serving --- *note* this is made using *cooked* eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 4 -5 large whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 10 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup Captain Morgan's spiced rum (you may add in more to suit taste)
- 2 cups whipping cream (unwhipped)
- 2 cups half-and-half cream (can use 4 cups whipping cream)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan combine the milk with cloves, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon; bring to a low boil over the lowest setting.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk/mix the egg yolks and sugar until no sugar granules remain.
- Slowly add the hot milk mixture into the egg/sugar mixture whisking constantly.
- Pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thickened (about 3 minutes ---DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL).
- Remove the whole cloves and allow to cool for for about 1-1/2 hours.
- Stir in rum, 2 cups whipping cream, 2 cups half and half cream, 2 teaspoons vanilla and nutmeg (adjust the amount of rum vanilla adding in a little more to taste if desired).
- Refrigerate for 24 hours before serving.
Me and Eggnog got back together bc of this recipe! I will add that Dereck added another cup of rum and we still couldn't taste the alcohol! Eggnog hides alcohol flavor very well. Yummy!
Doesn't get any better than this! 2 cups of rum is way to go, not strong at all.
Yummy! I was looking for an eggnog recipe the eggs were cooked. I added 1 1/2 cups of rum.