Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Friends of my parents, Eve is a fine Swedish woman and her husband is a fine Italian-Irish guy. Without fail they invited my parents (and me) over for Christmas treats each year, and this is Eve's recipe for her wonderful wassail. I haven't really kept in touch with Eve since my parents have passed; maybe it's time... Prep time includes "sitting time."
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 quart water
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole allspice
- 12 whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons chopped ginger
- 1 (6 ounce) can frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 (6 ounce) can frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
- 2 quarts apple cider
- In a large pot, combine the sugar and water and bring to a boil; boil for 10 minutes then turn off heat.
- Add the cinnamon sticks, allspice, cloves and ginger.
- Cover and let stand 1 hour, then strain.
- Add the thawed orange juice concentrate, lemonade concentrate and apple cider.
- Bring to a boil and serve hot.
I doubled the recipe and only used half of the amount of spices called for. I also added 2 cups of pomegranate juice. Very good!