1/1 Photo of Fabulous Dairy and Soy Free Green Bean Casserole!
1 hr 20 mins
Chef #1049909's Note:
I have been really allergic to both milk and soy for years, as well as lactose intolerant, so I've been missing out on this holiday favorite for quite some time. Inspired by the recipe "I can't believe there's no lactose in this green bean casserole!" I made a version that is a little simpler and took it a step further by eliminating soy. My family thought it was even better than the traditional recipe! Additional allergy/diet options: To make this recipe totally vegan/free of lactose, use margarine instead of butter. To make it gluten free, use gluten free all-purpose flour mix, available in most grocery store natural or allergy food sections. Caramelize some onions and put them on top instead of the french-fried variety. This is also a delicious option for those who want to avoid egg. To make sure this dish is soy free, be extra careful when you check the labels for french fried onions, as some brands use soy protein or soy flour in their batter. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Thaw and drain green beans. Set aside.
- 2Add olive oil to a medium saucepan or small pot. Add 4 tablespoons butter, and heat on medium-high until melted.
- 3Finely chop mushrooms and onions and add to the butter and olive oil mixture. Heat until mushrooms darken and shrink, and onions become soft and translucent.
- 4Remove from heat. Add three tablespoons of flour and mix together.
- 5Add 1 1/2 cups of broth, salt, pepper (and any other spices you'd like), and heat on medium-high again until somewhat reduced. Add additional flour for a thicker sauce/soup.
- 6Pour over green beans and heat in the oven at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- 7Sprinkle french fried onions on top and bake an additional 5-10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fabulous Dairy and Soy Free Green Bean Casserole!
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 373.3
- Calories from Fat 306
- Total Fat 34.0 g
- Saturated Fat 16.2 g
- Cholesterol 61.0 mg
- Sodium 1067.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: