I make this ham at the holidays and always receive rave reviews, this ham will be the star attraction at you table --- do not use sugar-free 7-up for this, make certain before starting this that you have a large enough roasting pan with a rack that will fit into the pan, a 12-pound ham will take a bit of time to bake so make certain that you have all your other dishes made ahead of time --- if you don't want to go the extra step with the pineapple and cherries you may omit and just make the ham using the brown sugar coating :)
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Using a sharp knife "score" the rind of the ham with diamond patterns.
- Place the ham onto a rack in a very large WELL GREASED roasting pan.
- Insert a meat thermometer into the ham, making certain that the thermometer does NOT touch the bone.
- Press whole cloves into the center of each diamond.
- Drain the pineapple juice from the pineapple rings into a bowl, then stir in the brown sugar, mustard powder and 7-Up soda; mix very well to combine.
- Coat the complete ham with the brown sugar mixture.
- Place the pineapple rings over the outside of the ham.
- Place a whole maraschino cherry into the center of each pineapple ring, then attach with a wooden toothpick.
- Bake uncovered for 4-5 hours, basting frequently with the pan juices or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F.
- Remove the ham to a serving platter, then let sit for about 20 minutes.
- Remove all toothpicks before serving.
- Slice ham and enjoy!