Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A delicious recipe from "The Brimming Basket," the newsletter of the Pike Place Market Basket CSA, featuring Washington apples. It can be prepared up to four hours in advance. Prep time includes chilling for the vinaigrette.
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste (I like tricolor pepper, too)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 2 apples, unpeeled,cored,and thinly sliced
- 1 cup diced fennel
- 2 cups curly endive lettuce, torn into bitesize pieces
- 5 cups mixed salad greens or 5 cups any variety lettuce, torn into bitesize pieces
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled gorgonzola
- In a small jar with a lid, combine the olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and garlic; put the lid on the jar, shake well to mix and let stand and chill for at least 20 minutes (or it can sit in the refrigerator for up to two days).
- Prepare the apples and fennel and put them on the bottom of a large salad bowl.
- Remove the garlic from the vinaigrette, then pour the dressing over the apples and fennel, and toss to coat.
- Add the lettuces over the top (if preparing in advance, at this point cover the salad with a damp towel and place in refrigerator for up to 4 hours), sprinkle with gorgonzola, and toss well.