Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
An elegant beef dinner that is great when accompanied by Roasted Red Onions With Blue Cheese-Nut Butter .
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Rub fillet with salt, pepper, and the softened butter; place in flameproof roasting pan.
- Roast 20 minutes. With spoons, turn meat over and roast 20 minutes longer for rare, 25 minutes longer for medium. Transfer with spoons to carving board and let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, discard all but 2 T. pan juices and add Cognac to pan. Heat on stove to boiling, scraping up browned bits from pan. Carefully ignite Cognac; remove from heat when flames subside. Whisk the cold butter into pan juices 1 pieces at a time, incorporating each addition. Strain sauce into pitcher.
- With sharp knife, slice the beef against the grain. Pour accumulated juices into sauce.
- To serve, overlap beef slices in rows on warm platter. Drizzle sauce over meat.