Cook2 hrs 30 mins
This is the nicest fruit cake ever!! Incredibly moist and light. Does not need icing. I was given a few pieces in a Xmas gift and it was so addictive I asked for the recipe.
- 225 g butter
- 225 g sugar
- 236.59 ml water
- 400 g sultanas
- 400 g mixed dried fruit
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml mixed spice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4.92 ml vanilla essence
- 4.92 ml almond essence
- 4.92 ml lemon essence
- 29.58 ml sherry wine, but can use up to 8 tblsps depending on taste
- 473.18 ml flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- Bring first 7 ingredients to boil and boil for 3 minutes.
- Let cool or can be left till next day.
- Add 2 beaten eggs, the essences, sherry, flour and baking powder.
- Stir till combined and pour into a prepared 20cm cake tin.
- Bake at 140 degrees Centigrade for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Remove from tin and store in cake container for at least 3 days before cutting. It gets more moist the longer it is left.