Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Posted by request
Make and share this German Beet Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 2 bunches beets
- 2 tablespoons bottled water
- 2 fluid ounces white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (Optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (, Optional)
- 5 tablespoons canola oil or 5 tablespoons vegetable oil (Optional)
- Wash beets and trim off greens.
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil, add the beets and cook, covered, until beets are tender.
- Remove from heat, drain, and peel and slice when cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the water, vinegar, caraway seeds, sugar, onion, horseradish, cloves, salt, pepper and oil.
- Add beets and toss to coat.
- Let stand for several hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled, as desired.