Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Make and share this German Holiday Strudel With Mustard Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups german wine-cured sauerkraut, drained
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 8 phyllo pastry sheets
- 1⁄4 cup german sweet mustard
- 1 lb bratwurst, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup light cream
- 3 tablespoons german sweet mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons butter, sauté onion for 3 minutes.
- Add diced apple and sauté 3 more minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in sauerkraut and caraway, and mix well.
- On a large baking sheet, lay out one sheet of phyllo and fold in half lengthwise and brush with about 1 tablespoon butter.
- Repeat layering.
- Spread mustard over last layer of phyllo.
- Then spread sauerkraut filling along the long lengthwise side to the center of the dough leaving a 1 1/2-inch border around the edges.
- Top sauerkraut with bratwurst slices; roll jellyroll-style folding in the short edges.
- Place seam-side down on pan; brush top with butter and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile prepare mustard sauce. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat, stir in flour to form a smooth paste.
- Slowly stir in cream and continue stirring to keep lumps from forming.
- Whisk in mustard and heat through.
- Slice warm strudel and serve in a pool of mustard sauce.
- Sprinkle mustard sauce with paprika.