My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 1/2 cups german wine-cured sauerkraut, drained
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 8 phyllo pastry sheets
- 1/4 cup german sweet mustard
- 1 lb bratwurst, thinly sliced
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2In a large skillet, over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons butter, sauté onion for 3 minutes.
- 3Add diced apple and sauté 3 more minutes.
- 4Remove from heat, stir in sauerkraut and caraway, and mix well.
- 5On a large baking sheet, lay out one sheet of phyllo and fold in half lengthwise and brush with about 1 tablespoon butter.
- 6Repeat layering.
- 7Spread mustard over last layer of phyllo.
- 8Then spread sauerkraut filling along the long lengthwise side to the center of the dough leaving a 1 1/2-inch border around the edges.
- 9Top sauerkraut with bratwurst slices; roll jellyroll-style folding in the short edges.
- 10Place seam-side down on pan; brush top with butter and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- 11Meanwhile prepare mustard sauce. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat, stir in flour to form a smooth paste.
- 12Slowly stir in cream and continue stirring to keep lumps from forming.
- 13Whisk in mustard and heat through.
- 14Slice warm strudel and serve in a pool of mustard sauce.
- 15Sprinkle mustard sauce with paprika.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Holiday Strudel With Mustard Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (178 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1166.6
- Calories from Fat 905
- Total Fat 100.5 g
- Saturated Fat 43.9 g
- Cholesterol 260.2 mg
- Sodium 2234.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 34.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: