1/1 Photo of Gravlax
A standard on our holiday table, either Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve. You don't have to buy smoked salmon - you can make your own gravlax. This version is very delicious. Count on refrigerating the gravlax with the spices and dill for 3-4 days before serving. Of Scandinavian origin.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (1 lb) salmon fillets, skin on, any pinbones removed
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 2 teaspoons anise seed
- 5 juniper berries
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or 1 small dried hot red chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 3 tablespoons aquavit or 3 tablespoons brandy or 3 tablespoons eau de vie or 3 tablespoons scotch
- 1Rinse the fillets in cold water and pat them dry with paper towels.
- 2Crush the caraway seeds, aniseed, juniper berries, red pepper flakes, and black peppercorns using a mortar and pestle.
- 3Or place the spices on a cutting board or other hard surface and crush them with the underside of a heavy skillet.
- 4Combine with the salt, sugar, and dill.
- 5Place one of the fillets skin side down in a deep ceramic dish just big enough to hold the fillets.
- 6Rub the fillet with half the spice and dill mixture.
- 7Rub the other fillet with the remaining mixture and place it skin side up on top of the first, creating a salmon'sandwich' with all the spices and dill in-between.
- 8Pour the aquavit on top, cover the dish with plastic wrap, and place a heavy weight, such as two heavy plates or a saucepan, on top of the fish.
- 9Refrigerate for 3 to 4 days, turning the fish every 12 hours and basting it with the brine that accumulates in the dish.
- 10To serve, dust off some of the spices and slice the fish into thin slices, on the diagonal- the way they cut smoked salmon, with a sharp thin knife.
- 11Serve with mustard sauce and dark rye bread, for open-faced sandwiches, or with mustard, pickles, and capers.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gravlax
Serving Size: 1 (125 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 198.5
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 78.8 mg
- Sodium 3590.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 30.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: