1/3 Photos of Gravy, Brown Sauce, and White Sauce
Smooth, simple, and savory. Dedicated to Julie (.::.Blink.::.)
My Private Note
cups gr ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1When baking a turkey, or chicken, I use the brown drippings from the pan. (It is also one of the ways I can tell if it is done). The quantities may be different if you have less drippings, but proportions are the same.
- 2Fill a large measuring cup with water, and set it aside.
- 3Put the pan on the stove and turn the burner to medium to get rid of any water, as it is the fat and flour that actually make the roux.
- 4After the water is gone, add an amount of flour about equal to the fat, stirring constantly, and turning down the heat if needed.
- 5Cook enough to get rid of the raw taste, but don't let it get too hard or burn. I turn down the heat to get more control of this. After it seems done, (just a few minutes) slowly add the water stirring constantly, using enough water to make a medium consistency (thick gravies tend to be more paste like, and I don't like thin either!).
- 6This needs to be cooked for at least 10 minutes to insure no raw flavor. I make sure I have plenty of water at my fingertips, so that it does not quickly become gummy and gooey.
- 7For beef, the same method, use the pan drippings.
- 8For something with no fat, you can use butter, flour and, water.
- 9To make a brown roux (for brown sauce) follow the same instructions, but cook until the butter and flour become a medium brown.
- 10A white roux (for white sauce), stop cooking it as soon as it turns from white to a hint of a golden color. I usually use milk, instead of water, in a white sauce.
- 11Salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gravy, Brown Sauce, and White Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (122 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 12.6
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 50.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: