Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
My mom passed this recipe on to me several years ago and I have been making it for every holiday dinner since. They can be made ahead, eliminating the need for mashing potatoes on the big day! I sprinkle a little paprika on top before baking to give it some color. Prep time does not include time it takes to boil the potatoes.
- 5 lbs potatoes, peeled and cooked
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- Beat hot potatoes until all lumps are removed.
- Add cream cheese (in small pieces) and the butter.
- Beat well until cheese and butter are completely melted and mixed.
- Stir in sour cream.
- Add eggs and onion to milk and add this to the potatoes with salt and pepper.
- Beat until light and fluffy.
- Place in a greased 9-inch casserole.
- Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until lightly rounded on top (puffy).
This was very easy and tasted great. I would make this over mashed because it was super hot out of the oven...it's hard to keep mashed potatoes hot.... Thank you!
I made this for Thanksgiving and it turned out great! I had to double the recipe, which made the mixing a little difficult, but everyone enjoyed them so much! Thank you for the fantastic recipe!!
Fantastic, easy-to-make mashed potatoes. Love the addition of the eggs, which make this dish so light and fluffy (light in the textural sense, not in the calories sense...). Yum, thanks so much. --Heather