My mom passed this recipe on to me several years ago and I have been making it for every holiday dinner since. They can be made ahead, eliminating the need for mashing potatoes on the big day! I sprinkle a little paprika on top before baking to give it some color. Prep time does not include time it takes to boil the potatoes.
- Beat hot potatoes until all lumps are removed.
- Add cream cheese (in small pieces) and the butter.
- Beat well until cheese and butter are completely melted and mixed.
- Stir in sour cream.
- Add eggs and onion to milk and add this to the potatoes with salt and pepper.
- Beat until light and fluffy.
- Place in a greased 9-inch casserole.
- Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until lightly rounded on top (puffy).