Tender chicken breasts cooked with whisky, honey & lemon; garnished with crisp pancetta slices & served on a bed of fluffy garlic infused mashed potatoes. A recipe devised for last Winter's evening meal menu - especially for candlelight & cosy fireside dining!! This is especially good all year around however & also works well with bourbon whisky too. Serve with any Winter greens, just lightly steamed & dressed in a little butter with freshly ground black pepper.Sublime!
Hot Toddy Chicken
- 12 slices pancetta
- 6 boneless chicken breasts, with skin
- salt and black pepper
- 3 1⁄2 ounces butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lemons, juice and zest of
- 1⁄4 pint whiskey, of your choice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 6 fluid ounces hot chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, cut into small chunks
- 4 tablespoons single cream
- 2 ounces butter, softened
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, peeled & crushed
- salt and black pepper
- parsley, to garnish
- Cook the pancetta in a frying pan until crisp; set aside on kitchen paper.
- Season the chicken well with salt & black pepper.Melt half of the butter & oil in a large frying pan - add the lemon zest & the chicken SKIN SIDE DOWN and fry until the skin is crispy & golden, about 5 minutes.Turn over and cook on the other side for about 3 minutes. Drain and place the chicken and the lemon zest on to a plate lined with kitchen paper & set aside.
- Take the frying pan off the heat & add the whisky - return the pan to the heat for about 1 minute. Add the lemon juice, honey & the hot chicken stock. Mix the remaining butter with the flour and gradually whisk in to the whisky sauce in the pan until thickened slightly.
- Return the chicken & lemon zest to the pan & simmer without a lid for about 25 to 30 minutes. Turn the chicken over half way through.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until very soft. Drain & keeping the potatoes in the pan, add the butter, salt, pepper, garlic & cream to the potatoes inthe pan. Whisk until smooth or mash with a metal potato masher until smooth and there are no lumps remaining. Check seasoning and add more if necessary. Replace lid and keep warm.
- Divide the garlic mash onto 6 warm dinner plates, top with the chicken and then 2 slices of pancetta for each serving. Drizzle over the hot toddy sauce & garnish with fresh parsley. Serve hot with lightly steamed winter greens.
- A dish to satisfy & keep colds at bay!
This was a nice alternative to Chicken Marsala or Chicken Picatta. I will put it in rotation for dinner, but will reduce the butter and perhaps grill the chicken to reduce some of the fat. It tastes fantastic! Thanks for posting
Absolutely wonderful! I made this for a Burns Supper and it was a big hit. The one thing I changed was to use bacon instead of pancetta, as pancetta was not available at my grocery store. The flavor of the sauce is wonderful - the tartness and sweetness perfectly balanced with the smoky flavors of the bacon and whisky. I have already made this twice and will make it regularly since it was such a hit with my husband!
I thought this recipe was good. I'm not a big fan of hot toddy, BH is however. I feel the recipe would have been a tad better with some asagio cheese on top. I wouldn't mind trying this again with a change in a couple ingredients, like bacon instead of pancetta. Can't wait to try.