1/3 Photos of Hungarian Christmas Bread
2 hrs 20 mins
A traditional Christmas bread from Hungary and Eastern Europe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup non-fat powdered milk
- 2 1/2-3 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 cup ground poppy seed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1In a small cup, dissolve the yeast and sugar in the water. Let stand for a few minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, combine the butter, sugar, salt, 1 tbsp lemon peel, and.
- 3milk in a large mixing bowl. Then add 2-1/2 cups of flour alternately with the yeast mixture. Blend the dough well.
- 4Turn the dough out onto a floured board. Knead for about 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and not sticky.
- 5Add more flour as necessary. Put the dough into a greased bowl, turning so the top is greased. Let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- 6While the dough is rising, prepare the filling:.
- 7Combine the poppy seeds, sugar, raisins, milk, and the rest of the lemon peel in the top half of a double boiler. Cook it over hot water until the mixture is of spreading consistency. Stir constantly. It should thicken in about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- 8Punch the dough down, divide in half, and roll each piece into a long rectangle about 1/4-inch thick.
- 9Spread the filling on top of each piece, then roll up. Pinch the seams together so the filling can't come out.
- 10Place the rolls on a large greased baking sheet and brush with the glaze.
- 11Cover the rolls with wax paper laid across water glasses so the paper doesn't touch the dough. Let rise again for 30 minutes.
- 12Apply a second coat of glaze.
- 13Bake the loaves in a preheated 325 F oven for about an hour. If the top browns too rapidly, cover loosely with aluminum foil. Cool on a wire rack.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hungarian Christmas Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1393 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2501.4
- Calories from Fat 1172
- Total Fat 130.2 g
- Saturated Fat 64.2 g
- Cholesterol 361.3 mg
- Sodium 1405.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 304.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.9 g
- Sugars 166.8 g
- Protein 42.9 g