3 hrs 20 mins
Chef #Peter Huculak III's Note:
This Hungarian Easter Potatoe Dish Brings back many memories of yester-year. We use to have it at every major holiday.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1300 degree oven large oven casserole.
- 2Boil potatoes with skin on, in
- 3salted water until fork tender.
- 4Remove from hot water and place in
- 5covered bowl in fridge to cool off. Do this while hot.Bring eggs to boil, cover and remove from heat. Wait 15 minutes and place in COLD water. When cool, peel and slice THICKLY. Set aside. Meanwhile -
- 6melt butter in good size saucepan. Add sliced onions and garlic. Sautee until onions are cooked but NOT browned and remove both pieces of garlic. Discard the garlic. In separate bowl, mix chicken broth and sour cream until well blended - there may be lumps of sour cream - don't worry, they will melt in as they heat up later on.
- 7Peel potatoes. These get sliced into very thick slices or chunks. Set aside.
- 8Assembly --
- 9Place 1/4 of onions and butter in bottom of casserole; then 1/4 of potatoes and 1/4 of eggs. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and paprika. Continue to build layers until all is used. When done, stick the handle of a wooden spoon, or a table knife down through the center and wiggle to make opening larger. Make other holes as needed. Pour sour cream mix into casserole. Cover with top or aluminum foil and place in slow oven. Allow to heat through thoroughly - depending on the depth of bowl, this may take 2 or 3 hours. This can't be rushed -- if you try, the sour cream will curdle and you will develop a burned taste from the bottom. This is 100% better on the second day, so make it a day before you intend to serve. MMMMMM GOOD!
- 10NOTES : With many of
- 11Grandma's dishes, everyone says they just can't make it like she did, or that there's "something" missing -- it's the garlic in this one! It adds to the dish but is so subtle that you can't taste it outright.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hungarian Easter Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (339 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 584.8
- Calories from Fat 377
- Total Fat 41.9 g
- Saturated Fat 24.5 g
- Cholesterol 294.6 mg
- Sodium 612.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 14.6 g