1/2 Photos of Julekake - Christmas Bread
10 hrs 20 mins
This recipe was marked with a big, red X so I am assuming this was the recipe that my grandmother used every Christmas. It came from a book called Norwegian Recipes, copyright 1947! I have not personally made this, but I ate plenty of it when I was a kid. Will start the tradition this year! It calls for letting dough sit out overnight in a warm place. I might mix early in the morning and then finish it by bedtime.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat milk with sugar and butter.
- 2Let milk mixture cool.
- 3Mix together flour and cardamom and dried yeast.
- 4Add flour mixture to milk mixture.
- 5Mix well.
- 6Cover dough with a clean cloth, let stand in a warm place overnight.
- 7In the morning, work raisins and chopped citron into the dough.
- 8Form into loaves.
- 9Let rise until doubled in bulk.
- 10Bake at 350*.
- 1145 minutes or until done.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Julekake - Christmas Bread
Serving Size: 1 (159 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 519.0
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 46.3 mg
- Sodium 131.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 22.2 g
- Protein 9.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: