This recipe was marked with a big, red X so I am assuming this was the recipe that my grandmother used every Christmas. It came from a book called Norwegian Recipes, copyright 1947! I have not personally made this, but I ate plenty of it when I was a kid. Will start the tradition this year! It calls for letting dough sit out overnight in a warm place. I might mix early in the morning and then finish it by bedtime.
- Heat milk with sugar and butter.
- Let milk mixture cool.
- Mix together flour and cardamom and dried yeast.
- Add flour mixture to milk mixture.
- Mix well.
- Cover dough with a clean cloth, let stand in a warm place overnight.
- In the morning, work raisins and chopped citron into the dough.
- Form into loaves.
- Let rise until doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 350*.
- 45 minutes or until done.