Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
These make wonderful finger food at a get together, for a nice presentation place each warm square in a paper muffin liner and you may make them up well in advance and heat/crisp in the oven just before serving--- make as spicy as desired by adjusting the cayenne pepper, the butter is melted in the baking dish firstly, do not add to the mixture, prep time does not include cooking the spinach firstly and servings is only estimated it will depend on the size you cut the squares --- warning these are extremely addictive, you will love these!
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste, can use white salt)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach (cooked according to package directions then hand-squeezed dry)
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into cubes (no subsitutes)
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Generously grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs until frothy.
- Add in milk, flour, garlic powder salt, pepper, cayenne, baking powder and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese whisking vigorously until well blended (can use an electric mixer if desired).
- Using a spoon mix in spinach until blended, then mix in the chopped onion and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Place the butter in the baking pan then place in the oven to melt (about 10-12 minutes).
- Transfer/spread the mixture into the hot baking pan over the butter.
- Sprinkle the top with 1/3 cup or more parmesan cheese.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until firm and golden brown (for a more crispy square bake longer).
- Cool slightly then cut into small squares removing each square using a spatula (these will slice easier when cooled they may be rewarmed again when ready to serve).
Made for KK's Top 25 Chefs Picks Event. As with all of Kitz recipe this is no exception, easy and delicious. I received alot of raves with this little appetizer served at my little New Years Eve Get Together, and the recipe was shared with the guests per their requests. Thank You Kitz for another super wonderful and delicous recipe.