1/5 Photos of Lemon Infused Buttered Brussels Sprouts W/ Crisp Peppered Bacon
French Tart's Note:
A wonderful way to cook and serve Brussels sprouts, the much-maligned vegetable of the Christmas table! Just steam or boil them until slightly tender and then toss them in lemon infused butter and top with peppered crispy bacon - that should cure most "sprout haters"!!! The lemon cuts through the butter and bacon to give a clean and fresh flavour, which is great if these are being served with lots of rich food. Get ahead by juicing and zesting your lemon; you can also pre-cook your sprouts and then plunge them into boiling water for a minute or two before serving. The lemon butter can be heated up gently in the microwave.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Slice the bottoms off the sprouts and remove the outer layers.
- 2Cook the sprouts in a pan of boiling, salted water for 6-8 minutes, until just tender. We like ours with a bit of a bite still - and not overcooked. You can steam the brussels sprouts if you wish.
- 3Meanwhile, heat the butter or oil in a pan and cook the bacon until it is crisp. Remove from the pan and leave to cool slightly - add the lemon juice to the pan with the bacon butter/oil.
- 4Add some freshly ground black pepper to the bacon and mix well - we like it quite peppery, please adjust the quantities to suit your personal taste.
- 5When the sprouts are cooked, drain and place in a serving bowl.
- 6Pour over the lemon butter/oil from the pan. Add the crisp bacon, lemon zest and a twist of sea salt. Toss well to infuse all the flavours and serve immediately.
- 7NB: You can gently re-heat the lemon butter/oil before pouring over the sprouts, if it has cooled down too much.
Browse Our Top Collard Greens Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Collard Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Infused Buttered Brussels Sprouts W/ Crisp Peppered Bacon
Serving Size: 1 (136 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 132.5
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 23.0 mg
- Sodium 294.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 6.5 g