A wonderful way to cook and serve Brussels sprouts, the much-maligned vegetable of the Christmas table! Just steam or boil them until slightly tender and then toss them in lemon infused butter and top with peppered crispy bacon - that should cure most "sprout haters"!!! The lemon cuts through the butter and bacon to give a clean and fresh flavour, which is great if these are being served with lots of rich food. Get ahead by juicing and zesting your lemon; you can also pre-cook your sprouts and then plunge them into boiling water for a minute or two before serving. The lemon butter can be heated up gently in the microwave.
- Slice the bottoms off the sprouts and remove the outer layers.
- Cook the sprouts in a pan of boiling, salted water for 6-8 minutes, until just tender. We like ours with a bit of a bite still - and not overcooked. You can steam the brussels sprouts if you wish.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter or oil in a pan and cook the bacon until it is crisp. Remove from the pan and leave to cool slightly - add the lemon juice to the pan with the bacon butter/oil.
- Add some freshly ground black pepper to the bacon and mix well - we like it quite peppery, please adjust the quantities to suit your personal taste.
- When the sprouts are cooked, drain and place in a serving bowl.
- Pour over the lemon butter/oil from the pan. Add the crisp bacon, lemon zest and a twist of sea salt. Toss well to infuse all the flavours and serve immediately.
- NB: You can gently re-heat the lemon butter/oil before pouring over the sprouts, if it has cooled down too much.