Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
French Canadian Tourtiere. Contains pork, potatoes, onions and spices in a deep dish pie. Recipe courtesy of Allrecipes. Posted for Zaar World Tour II.
- Bake the potato until done, 30 - 45 minutes in a preheated 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) oven. Peel and mash the potato.
- Place the potato, ground pork, onion, spices and water in a large frying pan and simmer until very thick, for about one hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare your pastry.
- Line a deep-dish pie plate with pastry. Spoon in filling, spreading evenly. Cover with top crust.
- Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with paprika, if desired. Cut steam vent. Bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). If edges brown too fast, cover with a strip of foil. Serve warm.
This is a delicious pie, very easy to make. I usually buy 2 - 1lb packs of ground pork, up the spices a bit and make 2 pies. I also use ready mashed potatoes. How easy can that be!