Prep 0 mins
Cook 12 mins
These cookies have a dark color and a pronounced molasses flavor.
Make and share this Molasses-Gingerbread Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- 5 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsulphured molasses
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and spices in a medium bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar with a mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in molasses. Reduce speed to low. Gradually add flour mixture, and beat until just combined. Divide dough into 3 portions, and wrap each in plastic. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a generously floured piece of parchment, roll dough to a scant 1/4 inch thick. Brush off excess flour. Slide dough and parchment onto baking sheets, and freeze for 15 minutes.
- Cut out desired shapes. Transfer to parchment-lined baking sheets, and freeze for 15 minutes.
- Bake cookies for 6 minutes. Remove sheets from oven, and tap them firmly on counter to flatten cookies. Return to oven, rotating sheets, and bake until crisp but not darkened, 6 to 8 minutes more. Let cool on sheets on wire racks.