Chef #953407's Note:
These cookies have a dark color and a pronounced molasses flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups unsulphured molasses
- 1Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and spices in a medium bowl.
- 2Beat butter and sugar with a mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in molasses. Reduce speed to low. Gradually add flour mixture, and beat until just combined. Divide dough into 3 portions, and wrap each in plastic. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 3Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a generously floured piece of parchment, roll dough to a scant 1/4 inch thick. Brush off excess flour. Slide dough and parchment onto baking sheets, and freeze for 15 minutes.
- 4Cut out desired shapes. Transfer to parchment-lined baking sheets, and freeze for 15 minutes.
- 5Bake cookies for 6 minutes. Remove sheets from oven, and tap them firmly on counter to flatten cookies. Return to oven, rotating sheets, and bake until crisp but not darkened, 6 to 8 minutes more. Let cool on sheets on wire racks.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Molasses-Gingerbread Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (1777 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 138.4
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 18.9 mg
- Sodium 108.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 1.8 g