Prep 45 mins
Cook 24 hrs
Mulled wine - glögi - is a traditional Finnish alcoholic drink served hot, typically served around Christmas. This is my own recipe and I'm quite proud of it.
- Crush all the spices to release the aromas. Mix them with the vodka and port wine.
- Wash the lemon and the oranges (I used blood oranges) very well, and peel them. Add peel to the mixture. Slice a thick slice of both fruits and put them in too.
- Peel ginger and chop into bitesize pieces, add the pieces in the liqueur.
- Smell the mixture but resist temptation and put it into an airtight container and to the frige overnigth, or 24 hours if possible.
- Next day, drain the spices from the liqueur, and mix it with the sugar and the wine. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Now's the good part - tasting. I've put quite a lot sugar in because I like my mulled wine sweet, but make yours according to your preference. If it's too sweet, add more wine, and if it's too tart, add more sugar.
- Heat up only the amount you're going to drink, and you can keep the rest until it's needed. Microwave is really good for heating up mulled wine, but if you heat it up in a pan make sure it doesn't boil.
- Serve with raisins and almond chips.
I served this last night at a party and all my guests love it. It was sooooo good. I also added 50 mls of grand marnier to give it a bit more orange. It is perfect for a winter party!!
I put all into a crock pot and simmered till warmed and the home filled with a delish aroma. Garnished with my Crystallized Ginger , Ginger Syrup & Ginger Sugar Crystallized Ginger , Ginger Syrup & Ginger Sugar. The cloves were a bit overwhelming! Update I`m enjoying this as I type and decided 5 stars all the way!