1 hr 10 mins
A good vegan dish to add to a festive meal. Great with red cabbage, broccoli and roasted root vegetables. And meat eaters like it too! This is a pretty versatile dish, read forgiving...if I don't have barley to hand rice works. Sometimes I have added in odds and sods of leftover veg like red peppers/courgettes/pumpkin and then used fewer (and/or just plain button)mushrooms. I have also zinged it up with smoked paprika and tabasco. As I said it goes well in a mixed holiday meal but sometime I just serve this with steamed savoy cabbage or kale and mashed potatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 -12 ounces shallots or 8 -12 ounces pickling onions, peeled
- 1 1/2 lbs mixed mushrooms, in thick slices (I use half mixture of wild or exotic ones like oyster, shittake, enoki and half chestnut mushrooms f)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 ounces pearl barley
- 4 ounces red lentils
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 3/4-1 pint vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme and parsley) or 2 tablespoons dried herbs, equivalent
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Gently cook the shallots in the oil until softened and browned.
- 2Add the mushroooms and minced garlic and cook on high heat until the mushrooms start to release their juices.
- 3Stir in lentils, barley, soy sauce, sherry, herbs and 3/4 pint stock.
- 4Bring to a boil and then either transfer to a covered casserole dish and bake at 180C for 45 mins or leave in the sauce pan and simmer on top of the cooker for 25-30 mins - til the barley and lentils are cooked and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- 5You may need to top up the stock if it gets really dry so stir from time to time even if cooking in the oven, keep an eye on it.
- 6Check for seasoning (can't ever remember it needing salt - between the soy and stock it is okay ) retrieve the bay leaf and finish with a grind of black pepper.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom Lentil Barley Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (141 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 331.5
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 517.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 12.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: