Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My kids love eggnog. This makes a utelot!! great for a party. This is a non-alcoholic version I can serve my kids. If you want the alcohol substitute 3/4 - 1 C. brandy or Rum for the extracts and reduce the milk by 2/3 cup. Needs to chill for 2 hours before serving then you need to sit for 15 minutes before assembling in a punch bowl. Prep time includes this 2 hour chill time.
- Combine milk and 1/4 cup sugar in medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat stirring to dissolve sugar until a rim of fine bubbles appears around the edge of pan.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored.
- Add a small amount of hot milk and egg yolks; return all to saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes stirring constantly.
- Pour into a bowl.
- Add ice cream by spoonfuls, stirring until melted.
- Add extracts.
- Cover and chill about 2 hours.
- Refrigerate the unbeaten egg whites in a separate covered container.
- Just before serving or filling punch bowl, let egg whites sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes in a large bowl.
- Beat the egg whites until foamy, add salt and continue beating until soft peaks form.
- Add 1/4 cup sugar, 1 Tablespoon at a time, beating constantly until sugar dissolves and the whites form peaks again.
- Pour the refrigerated (custard type mixture) into the egg whites using a large wire whisk.
- Pour eggnog into a chilled punch bowl.
- Ladle into mugs and sprinkle with nutmeg.
- **If desired you may substitute 1 cup of brandy or rum for the extracts but reduce the milk by 2/3 cups.