5 hrs 15 mins
4 hrs 30 mins
This is from a recipe card that came with Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt, posting it for later use. I am not including the brining time in the cooking time as 2 days you are probably not gonna stand over that darned turkey and watch it brine...lol.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 1/2 quarts water
- 6 tablespoons earl grey tea (18 tea bags)
- 3 lemons, juice and rind of
- 6 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 2 cups kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 12 cups ice
- 1 (24 -26 lb) whole turkey, neck, heart and gizzard removed
- 3 whole lemons, punctured all over with a fork
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 large onion, unpeeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1Bring 6 1/2 quarts water to a boil. Remove from heat and add tea, lemon peel and rosemary. Cover and let steep for 20 minutes. If using tea bags, remove them. If using bulk tea, remove lemon peel and rosemary, set aside and strain the mixture and discard the tea leaves. Pour the mixture back in the pot and stir in salt, sugar and the set-aside lemon peel and rosemary. Stir until salt and sugar are dissolved. Stir in the ice, cool to below 50 degrees F. Line a large pot with two 30-gallon plastic garbage bags, one inside the other. Place turkey in the bag-lined pot, breast-side down. Pour brine over turkey; press to submerge. Twist off bags to eliminate air pockets and tie. Refrigerate turkey in brine for 2 days (48 hours).
- 2Drain turkey, discard brine. Pat turkey dry. Stuff cavity with rosemary, punctured lemons, celery and onion. Fold wing tips under; tie legs. Rub olive oil all over the turkey.
- 3Place oven rack in the lowest third of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Place turkey on a rack in large roasting pan. Place bird in oven and roast for 2 hours, then baste with 1/2 cup broth.
- 4Continue to roast until turkey is brown and thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 165 degrees F. Basting frequently with the remaining 1 1/2 cups broth and pan juices. Cover loosely with foil if browning too quickly. Transfer turkey to a large platter or carving board. Tent loosely with foil. Let stand at least 30 minutes or up to 45 minutes prior to carving.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oven Roasted Earl Grey Tea, Lemon & Rosemary Brined Turkey
Serving Size: 1 (1185 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1050.8
- Calories from Fat 448
- Total Fat 49.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.4 g
- Cholesterol 387.0 mg
- Sodium 16579.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 24.0 g
- Protein 117.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
earl grey tea