Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
When I was first married and hosting my first family Christmas Eve celebration at my home, this was one of the appetizers I prepared. That was almost 20 years ago and my family still requests them each year. They're my 86-yr. old Grandmother's favorite! Very easy to prepare and I've never had any leftover. Can be prepared ahead of time and baked just before serving. Try them and enjoy!
- 12 large mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 12 crushed saltine crackers
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pepperoni
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄3 cup chicken broth
- Remove mushroom stems and chop.
- In skillet, melt butter, saute mushroom stems, onion, bell pepper, and garlic until onions are clear.
- Add cracker crumbs, pepperoni, parmesan and seasonings.
- Add enough chicken broth until mixture is stuffing consistency.
- Fill caps with stuffing.
- Place in shallow baking dish with 1/4" water in bottom of pan.
- Bake uncovered@ 325 for 25 minutes.
Very easy, very good, and great for entertaining because they can be made ahead. I made this for hubby, who is on the Atkin's diet, and he loved them. Sorry, but I had to make some changes to fit the diet. I omitted the bell peppers, crackers, and broth (didn't need it without the crackers.) They turned out beautifully!