My family's Christmas Eve food tradition is potato soup for supper. This is my very favorite. Made "Christmas Soup" by parsley and red pepper; made Confetti Soup by parsley and minced red, orange, yellow and green peppers; I'll try purple too the next time I make it.
- Simmer the potatoes, onion, salt and water for 20 to 30 minutes until the potatoes are very tender. Do not drain. Mash it all up in the pot.
- In the meantime, cook the sage sausage in a skillet, breaking up large pieces. Drain fat.
- Add the milk, cream, sage and the cooked sausage to the potato mixture. Combine, stirring well to incorporate the additions.
- Heat 5-10 minutes.
- For Christmas soup, very thinly slice red pepper. For Confetti soup, mince various colors of bell peppers.
- Add parsley and bell pepper to soup; cook until peppers are just tender.