A fairly traditional Australian prawn cocktail recipe with the addition of some tomato and corn to garnish. It always tastes best if you use prawns just freshly cooked but then cooled in the fridge a while.
- In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, tomato sauce and pepper and mix well.
- Add a few drops of tabasco sauce, stir and taste, adding more tabasco to taste.
- Add prawns to the bowl and blend through lightly.
- Place lettuce leaves in bottom of 4 martini glasses and top with prawn mixture (4 prawns per serve).
- Garnish with cherry tomatoes and corn kernels.
- Serve chilled.
WHAT a amazing recipe! OH my. My DH took this to lunch yesterday (at work) and people were drooling all over it. (thankfully he was able to wipe the drool away) I followed this exactly, and the taste was so comforting, and good for the soul. Love, love, love the sauce! Added some green onion bits on the salad overall and used fresh corn kernels as suggested. Made for Aussie Swap 2012
Perfect recipe -- easy-to-make, colourful, delicious and classy. I had 12 medium-size prawns, so made half a batch of sauce, which was plenty. Used Best Ever Homemade Mayonnaise for the sauce base and couldn't resist adding a teaspoon of horseradish cream. Used fresh, raw corn kernels, which gave a lovely crunch. Also cut a small tomato in wedges and alternated the slices with the prawns. Hubby was so pleased he figured it was still his birthday, but that was yesterday. Thanks for posting.
Loved this. Different from the sauce used here in the USA. I liked it better. The corn really added a great complimentary flavor to the shrimp. Made for Aus/NZ swap.