Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
For the cake
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
For the filling
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together eggs, sugar, pumpkin, and lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and stir until well blended.
- Line a 10 1/2x15-inch cookie sheet with parchment paper, trimming excess.
- Pour the batter onto the cookie sheet, spread evenly.
- Sprinkle with pecans.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Prepare a linen towel heavily sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- After baking, turn the cookie sheet onto the towel, parchment paper side up.
- The cake should slide out onto the towel.
- Remove paper and roll up the cake into the towel.
- Cool 30-40 minutes.
- For the filling, stir together the powdered sugar, cream cheese, margarine and vanilla.
- Mix well.
- After the roll has cooled, unroll it and spread the filling evenly.
- Re-roll and slice for serving.
I had a chance to do a taste comparison between my Pricilla's Pumpkin Roll, Troy Hakala's #5365. The spices make this a great substitute for pumpkin pie but the cake was not as light and fluffy as the other recipes using baking soda instead of baking powder.
I love this dessert. It is really easy and really impressive.
Yummy. I made two for a Christmas party and there was nothing left. It was the first time I had ever done it, and I was intimidated by the rolling but it was clear and easy to follow and turned out great.