1/1 Photo of Roast Goose With Juniper Sauce
A Nigel Slater recipe. I made this right after Christmas. I had been nervous about cooking a goose, but this was pretty much foolproof, and very good. The ingredients are approximate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14 lbs goose, washed and patted dry
- 3 medium onions, peeled and sliced in thick segments
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 glasses dry marsala
- 3 cups stock or 3 cups water
- 1 1/4 teaspoons English mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 12 crushed juniper berries
- 2 tablespoons red currant jam
- 1Preheat the oven to 425°F
- 2Remove the lumps of fat from the inside cavity and prick the goose all over with a fork.
- 3Rub salt thoroughly on the inside and outside of the goose, and wrap aluminum foil around the legs.
- 4Place in a roasting pan upside down and place pan in oven to roast for twenty five minutes.
- 5Turn the oven temperature down to 350°F Roast 1 hour, then remove the bird to pour out the fat that has accumulated in the pan and take the foil off the legs.
- 6Be very careful, because the fat is dangerously hot.
- 7He also suggests adding parboiled potatoes to the pan now.
- 8Turn the bird right side up and put it back in the oven for another 30 minutes to an hour.
- 9While the goose is in the oven, prepare the juniper sauce by cooking the onion in the olive oil on low heat about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 10Stir in the flour and cook a few more minutes.
- 11Now stir in the marsala, stock, and juniper berries.
- 12Season with salt, pepper, and mustard powder, and simmer gently 20 minutes.
- 13Then stir in the grain mustard and simmer 5 more minutes.
- 14When the thigh meat on the goose is pierced and the juices run clear, the bird is done.
- 15Let the meat rest about 10 minutes, then carve.
- 16Just before serving, stir redcurrant jam into sauce.
Browse Our Top Goose Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Goose Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Goose With Juniper Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (503 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1415.2
- Calories from Fat 909
- Total Fat 101.0 g
- Saturated Fat 30.7 g
- Cholesterol 399.1 mg
- Sodium 336.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 111.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red currant jam